Crown Hill is a small residential neighborhood abutting Worcester’s central business district.
City records show that in 1772, the land was owned by Major Daniel Ward. Major Ward’s estate comprised about 30 acres and extended from his home on Main Street (opposite the current site of City Hall), west over the hill to the present Newbury Street, and from the Pleasant Street area south nearly to the present Austin Street.
By the early 1800’s, most of the land belonged to Sheriff Gardner Chandler. In 1818, the Chandler farm was purchased by Benjamin Butman who intended to subdivide the property for house lots.
Crown Hill Final Report Larson 2010 properties survey by Larson Associates.